Get a free and confidential evaluation
Find out how Avera’s Behavioral Health Services can help you or a loved one with our comprehensive yet individualized approach. Make an appointment with one of our knowledgeable and compassionate professionals by calling us toll-free 24/7.
Avera has 60 years of experience as a leader in behavioral healthcare in the region. Opened in 2006, Avera Behavioral Health Hospital is a state-of-the-art 110-bed psychiatric facility offering inpatient and outpatient behavioral health care. Specialized inpatient units are available for children, adolescents, adults and the elderly. It is the only multi-specialty facility within 200 miles of Sioux Falls.
You’ll enjoy a serene and beautiful design that emphasizes care for the whole person – body, mind, and spirit. An original art collection, an indoor waterfall, a chapel and a bright atmosphere foster an environment of respect and dignity.
In this safe and therapeutic environment, the visitor hallways are separated from the main foyer and hospitalization areas are separated by secure doors. Most of the rooms are private, accessible from welcoming and comfortable common areas.
The expansion of behavioral health benefits people of all ages
For the first time, Avera will provide residential addiction care for youth, as well as 24/7 emergency psychiatric care for all ages, by building a new four-story wing at the Avera Behavioral Health Hospital in Sioux Falls.
The completed project will allow more people of all ages to receive inpatient behavioral health care in Avera.
See more details
Specialized services and technology
In addition to hospital care, Avera Behavioral Health Hospital offers partial and intensive hospitalization outpatient care. Counseling and therapy is offered to individuals, children, teens and families for needs such as marital or relationship difficulties, bereavement, depression, anxiety and more.
Addiction Recovery is offered at different levels for individuals, couples or families affected by substance abuse and/or compulsive gambling. Day or evening options are available.
- Intensive outpatient program: An ASAM 2.1 primary care/treatment level process that involves group therapy sessions and individual and/or couple counseling.
- Early Intervention Group: An ASAM 1.0 level of care designed to help participants better understand concepts related to substance abuse, addiction and recovery. Group therapy is combined with individual counseling services.
- Relapse Prevention Group: Designed for people who have completed primary treatment and achieved stability in early recovery. This group program aims to help clients deal with personal issues while preserving the gains they have made in relapse prevention.
- pain management groups: Structured group therapy designed to help people with medication and substance use issues as well as mental health issues. Biofeedback treatment services are also offered where appropriate.
- Professional services: Specialized assistance is available for medical professionals/licensees who experience the adverse effects of a drug addiction or addiction-related condition.
As a member of the Hazelden Betty Ford Patient Care Network, Avera management, staff, patients, families and communities also have access to tools, resources and collaborative consultation from the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation – the nation’s leading nonprofit addiction treatment provider.
Watch a walkthrough featuring Avera’s Behavioral Health Hospital
Addiction Treatment Center
Sioux Falls is also home to the Addiction Care Center on the Avera on Louise Health campus. This world-class residential care center provides inpatient addiction care for adults seeking professional help for their addiction to alcohol and other drugs.
This two-building center includes a residential building with 32 private rooms and a main building with space for day care, group meals, and a faith-friendly meditation room.
The treatment usually lasts 28 days and encompasses care for the whole person – body, mind and spirit. Treatment incorporates best practices from a variety of different recovery approaches, including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and motivational interviewing.
Learn more about the Addiction Care Center, including an introductory video and photo tour.
Partial hospital program
If you or a loved one need stabilizing behavioral health care to avoid or reduce hospitalization, participate in Avera Behavioral Health’s Partial Hospital Program.
Available at Avera Behavioral Health Hospital in Sioux Falls, SD, this five-day-a-week program supports intensive comprehensive treatment for patients ages 18 or older in the nearby Sioux Falls area, along with the option to stay on an outpatient basis.
Find out more about the partial hospital program
Partial hospital programs typically run Monday through Friday for three weeks. Individuals participate in four hours of therapy per day.
Benefit from the opportunity to receive treatment and learn coping skills while living at home, working or going to school, and being an active member of your family and community.
Multidisciplinary treatment is available for a wide range of behavioral health issues. Your personalized treatment plan may include: group therapy, individual counseling, family meetings, physician oversight, medication management, and discharge planning.
Who is the Program for?
- People with acute symptoms of a psychiatric disorder that impairs your activities of daily living and your ability to function safely
- People who do not succeed in a traditional outpatient setting
- Individuals who are motivated to engage daily in a group treatment setting
Even without an official diagnosis, you can find the help you need if you have symptoms of depression and anxiety, including:
- Decreased functioning at home, work, or school
- Loss of motivation
- Mood swings or irritability
Call 605-322-4056 to schedule your free evaluation.
ECT treatment (electro-convulsive therapy)
ECT (electro-convulsive therapy) is a treatment for certain psychological disorders in which our highly trained professionals use electrical current to produce a closely supervised, medically induced seizure. ECT has been shown to be effective in treating major depression, bipolar disorder, and schizoaffective disorder. We prioritize safety, dignity, privacy, comfort and convenience.
Experience innovative and creative healing through our Arts In Healing program. You and your therapist can select the approaches that work best for you, including:
- Expressive therapy – Uses creative arts such as storytelling, dance, music, drama, poetry, movement and more to support personal growth, development and healing
- Music therapy – Provides healing and expression through creating, singing and moving and/or listening to music
- art therapy – Focuses on using art materials such as paint, chalk and markers to explore alternative ways of communicating thoughts and feelings
- Recreational therapy – Helps reduce depression, stress and anxiety, and regain basic motor confidence and social interaction skills through exercise and stretching
Avera Medical Group Psychiatry Clinics
Offices are on-site for Avera’s major psychiatric groups, Avera Medical Group University Psychiatry Associates and Avera Medical Group Midwest Psychiatric Medicine, making the behavioral health hospital a one-stop-shop for care.
Food and drinks on site: Le Bistro
The ground floor of Avera Behavioral Health Hospital, also known as the Light Court, houses the Bistro, open from 6:45 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Bistro offers daily specials for breakfast and lunch, as well as sandwiches, soup, rolls, fruit, yogurt, snacks, coffee and drinks.
Support and Education
Free and confidential evaluation line
Below is a list of behavioral warning signs that everyone should be aware of.
- Behaving withdrawn, sad or overly anxious
- Extreme difficulty interacting with friends and/or siblings
- Significant mood swings
- Persistent decline in school performance
- Change in sleeping and/or eating habits
- Increased or persistent use of alcohol or drugs
- Persistent aggressive behavior
- Threats to self or others
- Hallucinations, paranoia or delirium
- Other sudden or extreme changes
If a mental health issue is suspected, please feel free to call our 24-hour assessment line at 1-800-691-4336 Where 605-322-4065.