The Asian esports market accounts for over 57% of the $1.1 billion global esports market.
Niko Partners, a market research and advisory firm covering video games, esports and streaming in Asia and the Middle East, today announced the release of the 2022 Esports in Asia and Esports in China reports. Asia is the world’s largest and most important region for esports and Niko’s reports cover esports markets in China, Chinese Taipei, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea South, in Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
Key takeaways from the reports include:
- Asia’s esports industry generated combined revenue of $634.3 million in 2021, up 16.6% year-on-year
- Asia’s esports viewership grew by 13% in 2021. There are nearly 700 million esports fans in the region
- Asia accounts for 57% of the estimated US$1.1 billion global market, an increase of 2.7% from 2020
- Esports tournament prize pools in Asia totaled $60 million (USD) in 2021, up from $20 million in 2020.
- The main genres of esports are Battle Royale and MOBA
- India and Southeast Asia will see the strongest year-on-year revenue growth by the end of this year, at 18.3% and 17.2%.
- China remains the largest esports market in Asia and the largest single-country market in the world with $403.1 million in esports revenue and 434 million esports fans last year. China’s esports revenue grew 14% and its esports audience grew 11.8% in 2021
- Esports competitors in China are 1.5 times more engaged and spend 2.4 times more on games than players who do not play competitive esports
- Top PC esports titles in Asia are League of Legends, PUBG and Valorant
- The main mobile esports titles in Asia are PUBG Mobile/BGMI, Free Fire and League of Legends: Wild Rift
“2021 has seen the continuation of a trend we identified in 2020, brand partnerships in esports are increasing in number and value and this remains the primary value driver in the esports space,” said Alexander Champlin. , director of esports research at Niko Partners. “The growing value of esports sponsorships, brand partnerships and tournaments (both online and in-person) are key drivers of the market rebound.”
Niko’s research methodology for gaming market reports includes player surveys, trend analysis on key topics such as esports, top games and gaming company market share estimates, review of regulations and policies, interviews with major gaming companies, analysis of growth drivers and inhibitors, review of distribution, hardware, payments, internet cafes, etc. Each market report provides a comprehensive market model and 5-year forecast of games and gamers, as well as qualitative and quantitative analysis of gamer demand, behavior and usage of games.